Thursday, May 1, 2014

At last

The day dawned fine with light winds, so we got Marta and Ziggy's immaculate and beautifully appointed glider out of its box and put it together.

It looks great; I bet they can't wait to get it back to Australia.

I wnated to get the LX9000 navigation instrument set up properly, so after launch I beetled off out west to Mt Ventoux, that feared mountain of  le tour de France fame. I figured there wouldn't be too many gliders out there so I could have a good fiddle with the instrument and get it set up to my liking.

That mission achieved I went back out to the east. At weather briefing this morning we were told there would be "many cumuluses and many rain." Fairly accurate as it turns out. All day was spent dodging showers and there was basically an impenetrable wall of rubbish weather about 40km east of Sisteron.

Meanwhile Mark managed to get one of the local guns to go with him in a Duo Discus. They went south almost to Cannes.  No doubt that adventure will make its way to the blog.


XM didn't stay out of its box for long. Weather forecast for tomorrow is for rain and 40kt winds, so after flying today we derigged her and put her away.

Bruce and Anita were meant to arrive today. We haven't seen them yet so I hope all is OK.

A day off tomorrow I suspect.

Graham





1 comment: